From October 15 to December 7, you have the opportunity to make selections regarding your healthcare insurance for 2022. During this period, you can choose a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan or a Medicare Advantage Plan (also called a Part C or MAPD Plan).
Medicare’s Open Enrollment Checklist
To ensure you have the best plan, you must take the following steps:
- Verify whether your current plan will be available for 2022.
- Check if your medications are in the plan’s formularyfor 2022 (Part D or MAPD Plan).
Note: If your drugs are not on the plan’s formulary, you will have to pay full price rather than receiving the best cost-share offered through the plan, which can raise your costs significantly.
- If you are in a MAPD Plan, confirm that your doctors will be participating in your plan next year and are considered “in-network.” Out-of-network doctors may not be covered or you may be responsible to pay a higher out-of-pocket cost.
- Review the cost of continuing your current plan for 2022, including the premium and the annual deductible for next year.
- Review your Summary of Benefits for your MAPD Plan for 2022 to determine what is changing and whether those changes will affect you personally.
Do You Need Assistance with Paying for Your Prescription Drugs?
Check out our Resources page for information on New York State’s Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage (EPIC) program and other options to help pay for your medications.
When you contact companies directly, they will only discuss their own benefits with you. They will not inform you of other plans that might be a better fit for you. We can analyze and explain your options and advise you which ones offer the best coverage and plans for your needs.